Thursday, March 1, 2007

Google Earth controversy

This week we've been working on Google Earth in my class and I really enjoyed to manipulate the software. But I also found out an interesting fact that I want to share with you and I want you to share your opinion. Some images on Google Earth were blurred because they showed "sensitive" locations such as the White House or the US Naval Observatory and some actualy believe that providing images of such locations will be a threat to the national security. But Google Earth has received several other demands from countries that wish to censor images of different locations, some were done and others were rejected (or still undecided).

Now this makes me wonder, who determines what is sensible or not? Did we all agree that images of our houses be shown on Google Earth (and I'm not trying to go against Google Earth)? But we all have right to privacy though. And doesn't blurring some images contradict the statement that is found on the official website of Google Earth and that is also a very popular description of Google Earth: "point and zoom to any place on the planet that you want to explore"?

Citation: Wiki, Google Earth

No comments: