Monday, May 28, 2007

Freedom of Speech

I think we all like freedom of speech because it enables us to express ourselves with no restrictions and aslo through-out history (and even today) people have fought for freedom of speech. But again, we must not forget that there is a limit to everything. But where is the limit when it comes to freedom of speech?
Last two week we read a chapter on freedom of speech over the internet and its consequences. At the beginning I was in favor for total freedom of speech because I found it hard to judge what should be published or not. But at the end of the chapeter I was more aware of some of the bad consequences that freedom of speech brings and I was more careful judging whether there should be restrictions or not on what we access on the internet. Because I believe that as a society in general, we are not yet ready to face some of the dark realities around us. The issue of freedom of speech is a big issue because it keeps coming up.

No comments: